Beginning Fall Semester 2021!
The Voyager program will be an immersive after-school experience designed to encourage minority, underserved or female students to take STEM courses beyond high school and prepare them, and their parents, for academic success. The Voyager program will initially only be available to students in the Raleigh-Durham region of North Carolina.
NOTE: Until its launch in fall 2021, we will continue to tweak program details to provide the best possible experience for our participants, their families, and partners. Stay tuned to this site, join our mailing list, or follow us on social media for announcements with final program details.
The Voyager program is a 5 day after-school program designed to provide additional academic and personal support for students who may be interested in pursuing a STEM higher education degree or post-secondary job. Program participants will engage in a structured series of activities that include 1-on-1 tutoring opportunities, small group tutoring, individual study time, and in-depth STEM related activities.
Through this program, the STEM Futures Academy hopes to create a lasting relationship with participants and parents that lasts through the completion of the student’s high school degree, including a mentoring program for Voyager Program graduates.
The program is anticipated to provide support for 15 students in a safe, socially distanced environment. STEM related activities may include trips to local businesses or organizations. The initial program location is anticipated to
Additional Program Features
- 15 students
- Pandemic protocols to promote safety
- Reading, science, and math tutoring
- Activities such as visits to local businesses or organizations
- First time applicants must be in the 7th grade with anticipation of completing Math I courses (North Carolina Curriculum) within the next two years.
- All applications must have at least one parent/guardian willing to guide their student’s SFA participation and actively engage in parental enrichment activities. Guidance counselors may also serve in this capacity in the event that a parent/guardian is not available.
- Applicants should provide written acknowledgement from a teacher or guidance counselor that they are academically capable, but need further support or encouragement to flourish in STEM related courses.
The STEM Futures Academy’s goal is to provide 15 scholarships that will cover the majority of financial requirements for each to participate in the Voyager program. Parents or guardians will be asked to provide a small contribution of $25/week for the duration of their student’s engagement with the program.